Hiring A Basement Waterproofing Professional – What To Ask and What to Look For
It’s that time of year again, melting snow and April rains are happening. From March through April and even into May, many homeowners find their basements becoming wet and damp and sometimes, even flooding. At this time of year, many “basement waterproofing” companies spring up and many general contractors will begin to offer basement waterproofing services as well.
Keys to Hiring an Experienced Basement Waterproofing Professional
Homeowners who need to hire a company to waterproof their basements should screen several companies. It is important that you hire an experienced professional basement waterproofing company. You want to ensure that your basement remains dry and healthy over the long term.
Here are a few things to research and look into before you hire someone to waterproof your basement.
- Corporate Information – Is the basement company incorporated and for how long?
- Contractor Licenses or Certifications – Is the company licensed? In MA, companies are required to be licensed but NH does not require licensing (We at Rescon Basement Solutions are licensed in MA).
- Liability Insurance – Does the company carry liability insurance? Ask the representative for a copy of their insurance coverage; coverage should include all employees so the homeowner is not liable for any accidents or injuries.
- Better Business Bureau – Are there any complaints against he basement company?
- Basement Waterproofing Specialists – Is the company you are screening a basement waterproofing specialist? The company should specialize in basement waterproofing (or basement finishing if you want a finished basement).
- Angie’s List – Take advantage of Angie’s List and read real reviews of the companies you are vetting.
- Word of Mouth – Be sure to ask friends, family and even co-workers if they have heard of or dealt with a specific basement waterproofing company.
- Search, Facebook and other Social Media outlets – The internet and social media are great places to learn about a company from others. Homeowners share a lot of their experiences on the internet and social media; use searches and hashtags on the company name and see what you can find.
- Yelp, Google+ and other review websites – Check out free online review sites. These free review website can be invaluable when researching companies to hire.
Ideally, you should research these factors first and then schedule appointments with the companies to come out and give you an estimate.
Estimates for work should be free of charge or at the very least, credited to your cost should you move forward with the job. At Rescon Basement Solutions, our evaluations are always free!
Why Choose Rescon for Your Basement Needs?
- Over 20 Years in the Basement Business
- Independent Basement Specialty Company – not a franchise
- Award-winning Service and Craftsmanship
- Expert Basement Technicians and Craftspeople
- Lifetime Transferable Warranty
- Basements are our Only Business
- Financing Options Available
- It’s Time to Love Your Basement!