DIY Basement Finishing and Basement Sump Pump Installs – Should you DIY or hire a professional?Jun 24, 2014
DIY projects can be enormously rewarding and some DIY projects can be relatively easy to take on. DIY remodeling or finishing a basement is something that many homeowners tackle but this type of project can be tricky. For those that have water issues in their basements, there are a few brave adventurous folks who even tackle installing a sump pump and drainage system. This type of project can be also very tricky to do as a DIY project due to a variety of different issues in basements and there are things that you do not want to do!
Before you start knocking down old beams and walls or begin busting out concrete, the National Association of Home Builders offers this advice in the form of a few questions that you should ask yourself:
- Do you have a clear idea of what you want your project to look like?
- Do you have the time to complete this project (be realistic!)? * Sump pump installs could take 2 weeks for example.
- Have you ever undertaken a project like this before?
- Do you know everything you will need (materials, tools, etc.) to complete the project?
- Are you familiar with the applicable building codes and permits?
- Do you enjoy physical labor?
- Do you have all the tools you will need?
- Do you have the necessary skills for this project?
- If not, do you have the time and resources to learn these skills?
- Where will you obtain the necessary materials?
- If you cannot complete the project according to your original schedule, are you (and your family) prepared to handle the resulting inconvenience?
- Will you need assistance with this project? If so, who will assist you? Do they have the time and skills required for this project?
- Do you understand all the safety issues associated with this project?
- Are you familiar with the architecture and structural makeup of your home (i.e., how knocking down one wall will affect the rest of the structure)?
- Have you considered the hidden costs associated with doing it yourself – time, tools, and the possibility that you may actually decrease the value of your house if the result isn’t up to professional standards?
It is easy to look at the cost of hiring a professional and think about the cost of labor and materials. But remember, that a professional offers you an important service – years of experience, the right tools, a network of suppliers and subcontractors, and an in-depth understanding of legal regulations, cost estimating, scheduling, and the latest construction techniques and materials.
We sell our basement wall panels to DIYers but, if you want to skip the DIY, give us a call at 800-445-7593 or contact us via web form. In the basement business for over 18 years, Rescon Basement Solutions is an award winning basement finishing and waterproofing company serving New Hampshire and Massachusetts. It’s time to love your basement.